June 22 – June 29th, 2019 – 1 Spot left!
Port Austin, Michigan – USA
Join us on this exclusive trip to dive some of the most incredible shipwrecks in the world in in Lake Huron. There are very few divers that visit these wrecks yearly and they are some of the most preserved gems in the Great Lakes. This trip is “expedition” like because we are bringing in our own compressors and gas, boats, and shooting images the wrecks in a way no one has seen before. We’ll be diving ships that pre-date the Civil War from 1854 (the pristine Side Wheel Steamer DETROIT) to steel freighter SS DANIEL J. MORRELL that ripped in half in 25+ft seas in a violent November storm in 1966 leaving only one survivor out of a crew of 29. The Bow sank quickly in 170ft of water and the stern motored away another 5 miles before sinking in 210ft. The wrecks all have stories of tragedy, some of heroism and powerful stories of survival. Visiting them is like diving in a time capsule and immersing yourself into American History. This is a must for any wreck diver and photographer. We will be on 6 pack boats so we will limit the number of divers on the wreck at a time. This trip is for tech divers that are CCR / Trimix trained. All of the dives will be 160-210ft / 48-63 meters. Water temps on the bottom are 39f/4C to around 55F/13C around 20ft where most deco is done.
Other intact wrecks we could visit are the DUNDERBERG which is 150 years old, EMMA NIELSON, CITY OF DETROIT, GOV SMITH, ALBANY, and the TWIN FERRIES and many more possibilities in this area. We could honestly spend the whole time exploring the MORRELL as there’s so much to see just on that site. The wrecks are intact in the cold freshwater deep depths. Artifacts can be seen on the decks, and unique examples of different types of ships from every era . The area is quite exposed on the “Thumb” of Michigan which is why there are so many shipwrecks. Port Austin is a small town with great restaurants, Point Aux Barques lighthouse, quaint shipwreck museums & Great Lakes Artist Robert McGreevy.
- 7 nights lodging (double occupancy) (check in on June 13th check out on 20th) or trip 2 (June 22 check out June 29th)
- Cabins all have a small kitchen, mini fridge, AC, towels.
- 5 days of wreck diving – 2 tech dives a day (160-210ft / 48-63 meters)
- 2 or 3L CCR cylinders included
- Reserved weather day built in
- All Lunches & snacks included on dive days
- BBQ on the lake with Smores over the fire!!!
- Detailed briefings of each wreck
- Underwater Photography seminar
- We’ll visit the Point Aux Barques lighthouse
- Fills – Trimix and O2 fills (we will have a compressor O2 and a booster and trimix)
- Bailout tanks are available for rent (AL-40’s, 80’s, and steel 50’s) $100 for the week.
- Sorb – Molecular products sofnolime can be brought there for you, standard price applies at time
- Any dinners we eat out (There are fridges there if you wish to stay in and there are propane grills)
- Closest Airport – Detroit Michigan (DTW) – 2.5 hours away
- I suggest flying in a day early and staying somewhere in Detroit then transiting up to Port Austin