August 15-24, 2020
This will be a unique adventure for divers and non-divers alike! Join Becky Kagan Schott & Blue Green Expeditions on a diving oriented adventure to the Arctic Ocean around Spitsbergen and Kvitoya! Above the water line enjoy the unique Arctic landscape and incredible wildlife – polar bears, walrus, beluga and minke whales, and birds. For divers we will experience an amazing variety of marine invertebrates, dive with the penguins of the Arctic (guillemots) and explore Kvitoya – a place no one has ever dove before!! Kvitoya is a very remote part of the Svalbard archipelago and while it has been rarely explored but it is well known for its polar bear population. Underwater, who knows…we will have to find out for ourselves! There is an add-on available for diving the shipwrecks in Bergen, Norway!
We will stay aboard the m/v Plancius a state of the art 287′ polar ship, especially designed for polar cruising and outfitted for diving in polar regions. While there will be many diving and snorkeling opportunities, non-divers will enjoy the amazing landscapes, hiking, birding, and history of the area and Arctic community. You will also experience 24 hours of daylight this time of year or the “midnight sun”. We will travel through majestic ice caps and sizable glaciers as we circumnavigate Svalbard. If that’s not enough then afterwards we are offing an add on package to Bergan Norway for wreck diving and land excursion around the fjords.
Visiting the poles is unique and some of the most special trips i’ve personally been on. Both the Arctic and Antarctic are special in different ways. One of the highlights in the Arctic is visiting communities, history, and experiencing the Arctic cultures along with the wildlife.
Given the advanced nature of this expedition all divers must be approved before a reservation for this expedition will be confirmed. Once a diver submits a booking request for this expedition the request will be reviewed by Blue Green Expedition staff.
- Your dive certification card
- Proof of dive insurance
- A drysuit is required
- Cold water exposure protection
- Cold water diving experience
- All your own diving gear. Tanks and weights will be provided.
- The diving configuration requires 2 DIN first stages, each with a cold-water second stage.
- A spirit of adventure
- Accommodations on the m/V Plancius – price varies on room selection
- All meals, snacks, coffee and tea
- All transfers to and from the ship
- One overnight hotel stay in Longyearbyen prior to departure on Aug 14th – double occupancy
- Diving 1-2 dives a day includes tanks, & weights
- Snorkeling – drysuits provided for snorkelers only
- Photography, historical and ecological presentations
- All land based activities conducted from the ship including photo seminars, guided hikes, historical and ecological presentations, zodiac tours.
- Airfare including any extra hotel nights required due to flight schedule
- Lunch and dinner in Longyearbyen
- Fuel surcharges
- Gear Rental
- Beverages and bar on ship
- Dive Insurance (required)
- Trip Insurance (highly recommended)
- Gratuities, and souvenirs
- There are a variety of cabins on the Plancius and the cabin price is dependent on the cabin selected
- All pricing is quoted in USD and is per person unless otherwise noted
- Quad: $ 6,200 USD per person
- Triple: $ 7,400 USD per person
- Twin Porthole: $ 8,500 USD per person
- Twin Window: $ 9,200 USD per person
- Twin Deluxe: $ 9,700 USD per person – SOLD OUT
- Superior: $10,900 USD per person
This unique adventure will sell out quickly so please reserve your spot soon! Space is VERY limited.
- Deposit of $2,000 USD per person is due upon booking. At the time of booking you will be asked to select a cabin type.
- 2nd payment: $3,000 USD per person is due September 1, 2019
- Balance due: May 1, 2020
- Additional land package to Bergen, Norway, offered for wreck diving and land excursions around the fjords.
- Water temperature: <32F
- Air temperature: 30-45F
- Depths to 80 feet
- Cold water with good to great visabilty
We will fly in and out of LYR – Longyearbyen, Svalbard and Jan Mayen arrival date is August 14th. Departure is after 4pm on August 24th unless you do add on the shipwreck dives of Bergen Norway afterwards!